Think it's too late to get away for Valentine's Day weekend? Several resorts and hotels offering "romance packages" for couples looking to start celebrating early all had rooms available as of Thursday afternoon. (It's likely these rates do not include taxes and gratuities so double-check.) Here's the scoop:
- At the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, W. Va., a two-night (Friday and Saturday) Valentine's package includes champagne and chocolates upon arrival, a $200 resort credit, buffet breakfast, a rose petal turndown service on Saturday, valet parking, a couple's photo, a 2 p.m. late check-out on Sunday, and discounts at the on-site jewelry store and spa. The hotel is about a four-hour, 15-minute drive from Northern Virginia. Price is $1,023; (888) 598-0246
- If you don't feel like hitting the road, the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City is nearby and offers a one-night Valentine's Day Romance Package, available Friday, Saturday and Tuesday. The package includes champagne, chocolates, rose-petal turndown, full American breakfast for two, overnight valet parking and a complimentary 2 p.m. checkout. Price is $269; (703) 415-5000
- The Boar's Head Inn in Charlottesville is offering a special Valentine's dinner on Friday, Saturday and Tuesday nights, as well as a Valentine-themed brunch on Sunday in the Old Mill Room. Its "date night" package includes one night accommodations, dinner for two and a free in-room movie and dessert. Price is $279; (800) 476-1988
- If you want to stick fairly close to home but at least get outside the Beltway, there's Lansdowne Resort in Leesburg. The resort, home to Spa Minerale, offers several Valentine's Day packages, which are available through the end of February. Depending on which package you choose, it can include breakfast for two, food and beverage credits, welcome champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries upon arrival, valet parking, and a 2 p.m. checkout. The resort is about a 45-minute drive from Alexandria's city limits. You can check out the variety of packages and rates here. (877) 509-8477
- Located in Farmington, Pa., about a four-hour drive from the D.C. area, is Nemacolin Woodlands, which offers a Sweetheart Package, available Feb. 10-16. The package starts at $398 per night and includes a $150 dinner credit, breakfast in bed, as well as champagne and strawberries when you arrive. (866) 344-6957
- The Homestead Resort, located in Hot Springs, Va., about four hours west of D.C., offers a one-night "Sweet Heart Romance" package which features champagne, chocolate-covered strawberries, dinner, breakfast and a turndown service starting at $445. (866) 354-4653, ext. 3.