Fairfax County's Veterans: The Numbers
How many veterans live in Fairfax County? The answer might surprise you.
Today is Veterans Day, when Fairfax County and the nation remembers the service of the veterans in our neighborhoods.
How many veterans live in Fairfax County, and what wars have they served in? The Census and the American Community Survey are a great help in getting hard numbers on the profile of veterans in Fairfax County.
Fairfax County has an estimated 83,354 veterans who have now left the military, according to the 2009 American Community Survey of Fairfax County.
The 2000 Census also provides fascinating, if slightly outdated, information about what wars Fairfax County's veterans had served in around 2000:
- 10,681 veterans served during World War II.
- 7,847 veterans served during the Korean War.
- 49,960 veterans served during the Vietnam War.
- 2,443 veterans served during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
- 21,764 veterans served after August 1990, including in the Persian Gulf War.
Because the census data is from 2000, it does not include information on Fairfax County's veterans from the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan. When the 2010 Census is released, we'll be sure to update you on the changing profile of veterans in Fairfax County.
Correction: This article originally misstated the estimated number of veterans in Fairfax County from the 2009 American Community Survey. The correct number is 83, 354.