Police Urge Commuters to Protect Belongings
The Franconia District police advise Metro riders to take safety precautions in and around the Metro.
Officers from the Franconia District Station will join Metro Transit police officers at the Franconia-Springfield metro station on Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. to talk to commuters and hand out information about keeping their property safe in and around the Metro.
Officer Brooke Wright said that the police are making an effort to raise awareness about the issue as a result of recent petty theft incidents around the Metro station.
The Fairfax County Police Department offers the following tips for safeguarding your property:
- Lock your car and close the windows.
- Lock valuable items in the trunk or out of sight.
- Keep small electronic devices concealed while on the Metro.
- When using an electronic device, avoid sitting or standing near the doors.
- Register your electronics with the manufacturers.
- Keep a log of serial numbers.
- Report all suspicious behavior by calling 911 for emergencies or 703-691-2131 for non-emergencies.
More information about local crime: