Editor's Note: Patch has 31 sites in Virginia and D.C., and not a day goes by that something weird isn't happening somewhere in the area. Here's a look back at some weird goings-on over the past week.
With Halloween coming and insults flying about puppies and unicorns flying fast and furious as Election Day draws near, things are bound to get even stranger real soon around Northern Virginia. But for now, we've got plenty of weird to keep us going. Let's start, shall we?
- Dressing Up as Honey Boo Boo Anyone? TLC shared a local family's costumes recently, with Buddy from "Cake Boss" bringing along his crew and some cannolis for some trick-or-treating in Woodbridge. The channel is looking for more costumes inspired by TLC personalities, such as TLC star Miss Boo Boo. If you're donning blonde curls and a Southern accent, give 'em a call, ya'll.
- Stuck at the Airport: We've all been there — delayed flights, long security lines. Tell it to this cat, who was trapped in a wall at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport recently. Police and firefighters were on the scene, as well as a local animal welfare agency.
- Somebody Call...Security? Talk about brazen. Two men robbed a bank on the ground floor of the Transportation Security Administration's headquarters Wednesday just outside of Washington, D.C. At 1:19 p.m., the pair of bandits walked into the PenFed Credit Union branch in Pentagon City, approached a teller and demanded money be placed in a backpack, which the men provided, according to the Arlington County Police Department.
- Nude + Lewd = Six Years: And we're guessing the assault on a couple of police officers was the icing on the cake. Here's how it went down: A Fairfax man got more than six years in prison for assaulting U.S. Park Police officers who caught him naked and engaging in a sexual act in his car at Daingerfield Island, near the Washington Sailing Marina. When he refused to exit his vehicle peacefully, officers tried to remove him and he assaulted them, then attempted to flee, actually dragging a couple of officers behind him for a few feet.
- Think Pink: No one likes seeing a police cruiser in their rearview mirror, for fear it means a warning at best and, at worst, an arrest. But the pink police cruiser now patroling the streets of Manassas Park might actually bring a smile and some funny looks instead of heartburn.
- Hey Doc, I'll Be Right Back: No one likes to go to the hospital, but in this case? It was an opportunity for one patient to flee the cops (no word on whether he was wearing one of those hospital gowns that flap open in the back). Before it was all over? Find out where police cars — and a chopper — tracked him down.
- Mopeds + Guns? You usually don't see those two words together but in this case, a moped driver apparently said something to a gun-toting truck driver that didn't sit quite right. Read what took place between these two in Fredericksburg.
- Ouch! Police offers might worry about getting bitten by a dog, a cat, a bat but...a fellow human? When a woman was recently stopped for suspicion of DWI, she thought biting a policeman was a better idea than submitting to a breath test. Find out what happened during this traffic stop in Ashburn.
- Oh Boy! A 27-year-old woman gave birth on the outer loop of the Capitol Beltway during the Friday morning commute, according to local news reports. The “Beltway Baby” and mom are doing fine.