All Fairfax County public schools will be closed on Thursday, Jan. 23. Offices will open on time. The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- all adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
School Age Child Care (SACC) centers are closed.
The Fairfax County School Board meeting will be held as scheduled on Thursday, January 23 at 7 p.m.
When Fairfax County Public Schools have a schedule change (closing or delay) due to inclement weather or other emergencies, the information is communicated as soon as the decision is made in these ways:
- Posted here, Facebook and Twitter.
- Posted on TV Channel 21 (Cox Communications, Reston Comcast, and Verizon cable customers only).
- Sent via e-mail to parents, employees, and KIT Plus subscribers of Delayed Openings and School Closings through theKeep in Touch e-mail notification system.
- Called in to area radio and television stations.
- Sent via text message to Keep in Touch Plus subscribers who have opted to receive Delayed Openings and School Closings.
Inclement Weather Situations
- FCPS does not make an announcement when schools are open or when sports and other after-school events are being held according to schedule.
- FCPS inclement weather plans outline of the timing of decisions, the three schedule plan options, and the impact on specific student programs
- Decision making process
- Questions raised most often about weather-related closings and delays
- School year calendars provide information on makeup days
- Fairfax County Park Authority policy on weather cancellations lists conditions for closing parks and other recreation facilities
- Cold Weather Fact Sheet
- FCPS emergency preparedness and support plans ensure the safety of students and staff member