A straw poll was held Saturday night at the Mount Vernon District Democratic Committee's sixth annual Mardi Gras fundraiser; 10 of the 11 candidates (Bruce Shuttleworth couldn't make it) and their supporters gathered to have some fun, make some speeches and raise money for the party. It was held at the Don Beyer Volvo Alexandria showroom on Richmond Highway, where it's held each year. (The same Don Beyer who is running for Congress.). Anyone with a ticket could vote in the straw poll.
Here are the results of the straw poll, taken Saturday night:
1. Don Beyer: 105
2. Lavern Chatman: 83
3. Patrick Hope: 81
4. Mark Sickles: 51
5. Adam Ebbin: 42
6. Charniele Herring: 15
7. Bill Euille: 11
8. Alfonso Lopez: 11
9. Derek Hyra: 7
10. Mark Levine: 7
11. Bruce Shuttleworth: 3
“This is a wonderful way to kick off the 100 days countdown tomorrow,” said Beyer. “It was great to see so many old friends here tonight and to meet so many new ones.”
Donald S. Beyer, Jr., 63, is the co-owner of several car dealerships and served as lieutenant governor for two terms before losing the 1997 race for governor. From 2009 to 2013, he served as U.S. ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Beyer and his wife Megan live in Alexandria.
The fundraiser Saturday night featured cajun and creole food as well as music by The Groove.
The Democratic primary election is June 10.
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors