The Franconia District Police Station is one of multiple police districts that have received reports of bicycle thefts, said CPO Jim Reid in a recent email.
According to reports by FCPD crime analysts, 86 of the 361 bicycle thefts in that time period were reported in the McLean District. Reports show that many of the bicycles are stolen when residents leave their garage doors open.
FCPD crime prevention officers are advising residents to take precautions to avoid these incidents. CPOs provided the following tips to prevent bicycle thefts:
- Close garage doors.
- Invest in a hardened steel U-lock.
- Don’t leave bicycles outside for days, or nights, on end. Thieves may be watching and may target “unused” bicycles.
- Consider installing motion sensor lights or alarms on your property.
- Take a photo of your bike and record the serial number; this will aid in recovery should your bike be stolen.
- Consider registering your bicycle on the National Bike Registry.
- Report the stolen item online.