According to a news release, Auto Theft Detectives from Fairfax County’s Criminal Investigation Bureau met with Franconia District officers to review strategies on catching the suspects in action.
FCPD provides the following tips to residents to help prevent their motorcycles from being stolen:
- Lock your ignition and remove the key. Most bike thefts occur when the ignition is shut off, but not locked.
- Don’t lock your motorcycle in the same location all the time.
- Uniquely mark and then photograph your bike. If stolen, note unique markings to law enforcement.
- Add an audible alarm to your motorcycle.
- Add a GPS recovery system.
- Park in view of an outdoor security camera. If there isn’t one, choose an area with good lighting.
- If parking in a garage, block your bike with cars and make sure the garage door is locked.
- Do not advertise your bike on social media websites.
- Use more than one type of lock, and anchor your motorcycle to something solid and immovable.
- Wire a kill-switch or spring-loaded switch that must be held down when start button is depressed.
- Use a cover for a less popular brand of bike to discourage thieves from inspecting yours.
- Make sure you’re not followed home. Professional thieves will scout out where to come back later and get the motorcycle they are looking for.