Fairfax County Fire and Rescue responded to a gas main leak Friday morning in Fairfax County's Rose Hill neighborhood.
A crew from Atlas Plumbing was digging on Wayside Place, located off of Rose Hill Drive, between Franconia Road and Telegraph Road, when they hit the natural gas line, according to Daniel L. Schmidt, a spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.
The call about the gas main break came in Friday at 10:22 a.m., according to Schmidt.
"It's already been secured by Washington Gas," Schmidt said just before 11:30 a.m.
When the emergency call came in, it was dispatched as a Hazardous Materials Emergency. The units that initially responded were: Engine 405, Engine 437, Rescue 411, HazMat440, HazMat Support 440, Medic 405, Battalion Chief 211 (from Alexandria) and EMS Supervisor 403.
Natural gas may explode when exposed to flame or sparks.
Washington Gas offers information to its customers including its Washington Gas Damage Prevention Hotline at (800) 428-5364. Residents can also visit www.va811.com.