.

Newly-Installed Smoke Alarm Alerts Springfield Family of Fire in Their Home

Fairfax County firefighters installed the "Safety in Our Community" smoke alarm 90 days before Tuesday's incident.

A "Safety in Our Community" installed smoke alarm alerted a Springfield family ahead of time of a fire in their home around 8:55 p.m. Tuesday when a chair in a second-floor bedroom accidentally caught fire. The single-family home is located at 6828 Ben Franklin Rd.

When firefighters arrived, they encountered a smoldering fire in a chair, according to a recent news release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. The fire was immediately extinguished. No one was injured during the incident.

Fire investigators determined that combustible debris from an incompatible mobile phone battery charger adapter exploded when it was used on an electric hookah, and then landed on the chair causing the fire. Damage is estimated at about $200 and was confined to the chair that caught fire.

Firefighters from Fire and Rescue Station 22, in Springfield, installed an SIOC smoke alarm in the family's home 90 days earlier following a minor incident, according to fire department officials.

"The newly installed smoke alarm is credited with providing early warning and allowing the occupants to escape the home unharmed," stated the fire department in a news release.

The fire department initiated the SIOC program in June. The purpose of the program is to prevent the 911 call. Local firefighters canvass area neighborhoods every Saturday afternoon to check for working smoke alarms. They install batteries and/or smoke alarms free of charge and also offer home safety inspections and seasonal fire and safety information as part of the SIOC program.

Read more police & fire news on Kingstowne Patch!
Kevin M O'Connor November 01, 2013 at 06:42 AM
For the unsophisticated (such as myself) here is a wikipedia definition to clarify matters: A hookah (hukkā or Hukić[1][2]), (هوكة), also known as a waterpipe,[3] narghile, arghila, or qalyān, or Shisha (which refers specifically to Egyptian hookahs) is a single- or multi-stemmed instrument for vaporizing and smoking flavored tobacco called shisha in which the vapor or smoke is passed through a water basin (often glass-based) before inhalation

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »