Video of a man who may be the person some people call the Fairfax County serial groper has been released by Fairfax County police.
The video is from a surveillance video taken around 3 p.m. Thursday afternoon at the HomeGoods store in the Kingstowne Towne Center, where a possible 24th attack in the series of assaults was reported to police.
Fairfax County police are asking for the public's help in identifying the person in the video. Anyone with information should call 703-691-2131 or contact CrimeSolvers 866-411-TIPS.
Thursday's incident, along with the 23 other incidents reported since early September, are still under investigation.
Back in March, around 200 residents attended a community meeting hosted by the Franconia District Station to voice their concerns and discuss police efforts to catch the serial groper.
- See: More Than 200 Pack Serial Groper Meeting Thursday Night in Springfield
Captain Jim Baumstark, commander of the Franconia District Police Station, said FCPD is focusing their initiatives specifically in Springfield where he's targeting victims.
"He's targeting that area the most. When I look at the map, the attacks are all over the place and that let's me know that he knows the area well because we can't tell how he enters and exits the area of the incidents so fast," he said. "We're looking for one person among about 27,000 residents and we can't put it into a time frame because of the difference in time lapse between incidents."
See a map of the incidents here.
The dates and locations of the groping incidents are:
- Sept. 7 at approximately 8:30 a.m. around the 7200 block of Monticello Boulevard
- Sept. 9 or Sept. 13 at approximately 7:30 p.m. around Cumberland Drive and Dinwiddie Street
- Sept. 18 at approximately 2:45 p.m. around the 6700 block of Metropolitan Center Drive
- Sept. 19 around Hibbling Avenue and Exmore Street
- Sept. 27 at approximately 9 a.m. around the 5900 block of Erving Street
- Oct. 2 at approximately 7:15 p.m. around the Hibbling Avenue and Exmore Street
- Oct. 25 at approximately 9:30 a.m. around Lake Pleasant Drive and Edinburgh Drive
- Nov. 1 at approximately 4 p.m. around the 7200 block of Commerce Street
- Nov. 1 at approximately 4:30 p.m. around the 6000 block of Hibbling Avenue
- Nov. 19 at approximately 6 p.m. around the 7200 block of Commerce Street
- Nov. 21 at approximately 1:20 p.m. around Amherst Avenue and Cumberland Avenue
- Dec. 11 at approximately 10:28 a.m. around the Blarney Stone Drive near Omega Court
- Dec. 13 at approximately 9 a.m. on Floyd Avenue and Erving Street
- Dec. 13 at approximately 5:45 p.m. around the 6000 block of Hibbling Avenue
- Jan. 3, at approximately 5:45 p.m. around Patriot Court and Briarwood Court
- Jan. 30, at approximately 3:10 p.m. Dinwiddie Street near Dana Avenue
- Jan. 30, at approximately 3:35 p.m. Backlick Road and Cabin John Road/I-495 underpass
- Feb. 6, at approximately 5 p.m., 6600 block of Grey Fox Drive
- Feb. 26, around 6:30 p.m., Amherst Avenue near Cumberland Avenue
- Feb. 28, around 5 p.m., 5900 block of Dinwiddie Street
- March 1, around 11:45 a.m., Floyd Avenue near Hanover Street
- March 12, 7 p.m., 6400 block of Franconia Court
- March 14, 3 p.m., Bauer Road near Old Keene Mill Road
- March 28, around 3 p.m., 5900 block of Kingstowne Towne Center (in HomeGoods)