Thursday, May 9, 2013
More than 70 firefighters responded to house fire early Wednesday morning.
Fairfax County's Office of the Fire Marshal is investigating a fire destroyed a home early Wednesday morning at 6240 Willowfield Way in Springfield, according to a news release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. The home is located in the Highgrove residential community. The fire department responded to the house fire at the single family home at about 5:34 a.m. Wednesday. Firefighters arrived on the scene about four minutes after receiving the call. When they arrived, firefighters encountered heavy fire and smoke engulfing the unoccupied two-story home. An adjacent home — located at 6244 Willowfield Way — was also damaged during the fire. According to the fire department, the adjacent home caught fire from the radiant …
Monday, April 22, 2013
German Balladares, 56, and Sandra Balladares, 41, of Springfield were charged Friday.
Fire investigators with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department charged a Springfield couple with intentionally setting a house fire in the Springfield area in 2008, according to a recent news release. German Balladares, 56, and Sandra Balladares, 41, of Springfield were charged with Virginia Code 18.2-77, burning or destroying a house or dwelling; and 18.2-80, with intent to defraud an insurance company or other person. The fire happened at about 12:20 p.m., June 7, 2008, at 7209 Neuman Street. Damage to the single family home was estimated at $75,000. While performing a fire attack, one firefighter was transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital with a non-life threatening injury.
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Damages are estimated at about $60,000.
The Fairfax Couny Fire and Rescue Department have determined that Monday night's house fire at 3005 Marl-Pat Drive was accidental, according to a recent news release. The preliminary cause of the fire was an unidentified electrical source in the laundry room. The fire department received a call about the fire at the single family home around 7:35 p.m. Monday, and when firefighters arrived at the scene, they encountered smoke and fire in the basement. Firefighters located the seat of the fire in the laundry room. However, the fire had also spread to the rear wall of the house. Firefighters performed an aggressive fire attack and had the fire out in about 15 minutes, although Monday night's gusty winds challenged firefighting efforts, …
Monday, February 4, 2013
Two adults and two children were displaced by the fire last Friday.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department responded to a call at Morning Dew Court around 2:15 p.m. Friday where fire investigators now say an electrical panel started a house fire, according to a recent news release. The electrician who was sent to the Burn Center at Washington Hospital Center after a circuit breaker he was working on exploded sustained non-life threatening injuries. When fire and rescue units arrived, firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the bottom level and through the roof of the two-story split level home along with strong and gusty winds while conducting an aggressive fire attack. A second alarm was called due to the heavy wind conditions and the rapid spreading of fire, bringing more than 60 …
Monday, January 14, 2013
Grant McIntosh has served Fairfax County citizens for 50 years.
Grant McIntosh, chaplain for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department will retire this coming March after serving the county for 50 years. This will be the second retirement in the 73-year-old, New Hampshire native's career. McIntosh first retired in February 1994 after serving as a firefighter for 30 years. "I've enjoyed it, and I have no regrets," McIntosh recently told Patch. "I really hate to go, but it's time to go away to do something else." McIntosh has served as chaplain for the fire department since August 1994 and is currently the associate pastor at Virginia Hills Baptist Church. During his career and service to the county, McIntosh became a member of the Critical Response Team and was a first responder when American …
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
A house fire on Lobelia Lane displaced one occupant.
The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department responded to a call on Christmas Day around 10:25 p.m. in the Springfield area. Firefighters arrived in the 7900 block of Lobelia Lane to find smoke near the front door of the home. Dan Schmidt, spokesman for the department, said firefighters arrived on scene and were able to control and extinguish the fire within 15 minutes of their arrival. There was one occupant in the home at the time of the fire who was able to escape from a bedroom after being notified by an alarm monitoring company. The occupant escaped unharmed but was evaluated by paramedics on the scene, and she refused transport. No one else was in the home at the time of the incident. According to fire investigators, the fire was an…
Monday, December 24, 2012
Mastin has been with Fairfax County fire and rescue for decades.
During the 15th Annual Firefighters Holiday Rescuer's Toy Distribution, Fairfax County Fire Chief Ronald L. Mastin mentioned that the event would be his last as fire chief. Mastin said he plans to retire in a few months. "This will be my last one," Mastin said of the annual toy and coat drive. William Bailey, captain and aide to the assistant chief of personnel services, said during the event that the firefighters wouldn't be able give back to the children of the community without Mastin's support. Dan Schmidt, spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, said the fire chief plans to retire in May, but he hasn't scheduled a specific date for his final day on the job. Mastin is a 38-year fire and rescue veteran, having …
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Fairfax County firefighters and local sponsors donate clothes and toys to school children.
The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department along with local sponsors distributed toys and necessities to school children in the county Tuesday. Patch stopped by Tuesday at the donation ceremony, where participants and organizers were gathered at Penn Daw Station 11 at 6624 Hulvey Terrace off of Richmond Highway. Because of donations and support from businesses and civic organizations including Operation Warm/Coats for Kids, PROMAX Realtors, Apple Federal Credit Union, Nationwide Credit, the Rotary Club of Tysons Corner and Service Employees International Union-512, firefighters were able to donate thousands of toys and coats to local kids. Coldwell Banker also donated $1,000 to the cause and members of the Redskins cheerleading squad …
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department responded to a small fire outside of a Springfield home.
Neighbors called and reported a fire outside of a home in the 7000 block of Chatham Street around 11:15 a.m. Sunday. Firefighters arrived on scene to find a small fire outside of an extension of the home and were able to control and extinguish the fire within 20 minutes, said Captain William Moreland. The fire didn't reach the major part of the house. The family was home at the time of the incident and was evacuated. There were no injuries reported due to the fire. The fire department is investigating the incident.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department will pass out gifts to local children Tuesday.
Fairfax County firefighters and paramedics are sponsoring the 15th Annual Firefighters Holiday Rescuer's Toy Distribution from 10:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Penn Daw Fire and Rescue Station 11 in Alexandria. The department is partnering with local businesses and private corporations to distribute gifts and clothing to local children. Dan Schmidt, spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, said each year the event continues to grow with support from the community. "It seems to be that every year it gets bigger and bigger. The community has been very supportive and generous in providing toys and various gifts for children," he said. Department members, Progressive Firefighters of Fairfax County, Inc. and International…